Sunday, October 7, 2007

Sorry Uncle John

Between my summer and fall semester I went to Chicago to see a Reds/Cubs game with John. When John was in Cincinnati we went to many games when the Cubs were in town, so after he moved I figured it was time for me to head up and see the Reds on the road. It was one of the best times I've ever had at a baseball game. We had general admission seats for the outfield so we walked over to Wrigley Field around 8:30. John had the brilliant idea to make friends with some kids so they would hold our spot in line while we went across the street for some cocktails. It was just a normal Thursday day game, but you would have thought it was St. Patrick's Day in Cincinnati if you saw all the people walking around. It was awesome. We feasted on brats and Olde Style and even though the Reds got the crap kicked out of them, it was still a great time.

Perhaps the greatest part was when John, motivated by several Olde Style's, decided to make a quick stop at the merchandise stand to pick up a Cubs onesie. He was delighted. I pretended to be offended, but it was really nice of him and I expected something along those lines at some point.



This week I've been telling Emily that we need to take a picture of Ellie wearing the Cubs onesie and send it to John because the Cubs were in the playoffs. She said that it was still too big and she needed a few weeks to grow into it. I pointed out that the Cubs probably didn't have that much time. Last night, with the Cubs facing elimination, we finally dressed young Ellie in her Cubs onesie. Emily was not impressed. I thought it was kind of funny, like dressing like a hobo or something. I took a few pictures with my phone and sent one to John before and after the game.

Go Cubs!

Sorry Uncle John, maybe next year.


Predictably, the Cubs lost and were eliminated from the playoffs. I talked to John after the game and even though he was sad that the Cubs lost, he was very touched by Ellie's support. He may also have been touched by the Olde Style, but in vino veritas. I know that if John were to be blessed by a child one day, Ellie will definitely giving him or her a Reds onesie. And if John has a little boy, he's definitely getting a pink Reds onesie.

No comments: