I'd like to make up a dramatic story about our second child's arrival into the world, but her story is really pretty smooth, right up until a scary moment toward the end. Here is the Cliff Notes version of her arrival. Emily called me at work on Thursday saying she was having contractions, but that she wanted to try to labor at home for a little while before going to the hospital. Those few hours kept us from watching crappy hospital TV and gave Grandma Thorpe time to drive up from Cincinnati while we went to the hospital. We finally left for the hospital around 2:30 in the afternoon. Our afternoon at the hospital was fairly uneventful. Emily progressed pretty quickly and by 7:30 or so, was ready to start pushing. Things were delayed a half hour or so while the hospital staff tracked down our doctor. As I'm sure you can imagine, Emily took the delay in stride with good humor. After a few pushes of what Emily described as, "a piece of f-ing cake,**" Maura Evelyn was born at 8:16 p.m.
I remember watching in awe as Eleanor was born. My memories of Maura being born are a little different. The thoughts started fairly simple (Hey, there's the head!) and quickly turned to fear (HOLY SHIT WHY IS MY BABY PURPLE?) before I could bring them under control (Don't let Emily see that you're scared). As it turned out, Maura decided to wrap the umbilical cord around her neck so when Emily pushed her out a little further, Maura changed colors. The doctor quickly cut the cord off and she is completely fine, but those were the scariest five seconds of my life.
And that's how Maura Evelyn came into the world. I'm not really sure where we got the name Maura. Emily has always kind of liked it and so we went with it. We are borrowing Evelyn from Great Grandma Clark, who might be the nicest woman in the history of the world. Hopefully some of those genes get passed on to Maura.
Even though we're all the way up in Cleveland (our economy is based on LeBron James) this year, we are so grateful that our families were able to make it up. Emily's mom was in the car and driving as soon as Emily called. My parents left later that afternoon and picked up Megan on the way through Columbus. Emily's dad and Brian made it up on Friday afternoon. It was so great to have our family here to meet Maura and look after Eleanor.
I'm sure many of you stopped reading after the first paragraph. Without further ado...Maura Evelyn: ONE OF THE BEST BABIES EVER!!!
Daddy picked it out all by himself (with help from Mimi, Grammy, and Aunt Megan)!!!
Very exciting for Eleanor, a little less so for Maura.
**Emily did not say this. I'm sure it was thought.
5 comments:
CONGRATS!!! She is so beautiful!! I'm so happy for you guys and so glad that things went so smoothly!! Emily is just amazing at everything she does. Can't wait to meet the new little one.
love - meghan
FINALLY! I've been waiting and checking and checking and checking for photos! Love Maura and love all of you. MANY MANY CONGRATULATIONS!!! Can't wait to meet her!
Beautiful! Congratulations!!!!
Heather
Congrats! Emily, between our families - we have the boys way out numbered! Take care! Enjoy the holidays with your precious girls!
She is BEAUTIFUL!
Post a Comment