Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Why graduate school sucks

I should be finishing my take home exam right now. Or studying for my other exam. Both of them are due tomorrow. I should not be dicking around on the internet, but I wanted to share one reason why graduate school is so very cruel. Since I've been getting ready for exams, Emily has been taking the bulk of the night time responsibilites for Eleanor. Normally we do the evening wind-down routine and read her a story together before bed, but tonight I'm under the gun so Emily is doing bedtime by herself. Tonight I walked by Ellie's room and peeked in to see how the story was going. It was the cutest thing I've ever seen. Ellie was all wrapped up in her blanket and Emily was reading Goodnight Moon. I've liked Goodnight Moon ever since the episode of ER where Dr. Lewis reads it to her niece. It was adorable and I couldn't stay for all of it because I have school stuff to do. I've tried my best not to let school intrude on Eleanor time, but tonight it did and I didn't like it.

Tomorrow I will be done with exams and begin winter break. Tomorrow night I will read Ellie's story again. We've been putting off The Lorax because it's really long, but maybe we'll read that tomorrow. I will get to rock her and sing songs as she falls asleep. It's a little embarrassing to say, but I think she likes the emo songs the best. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night, but tonight I have to write about child psychopathology and read about Kohut. I'd much rather be doing something else.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with those final exams this week! But most importantly, enjoy your time with Ellie tonight! She will probably read The Lorax to you tonight... See you guys soon!

Liz said...

Hang in there! You know that photo of Ellie "one-handed" in the Bumbo seat? I don't think she's showing off...I think she's cheering you on. "Go Daddy! Study hard and do great on your exams!!" If you look a little closer, you can tell.